Cornwall Gardens, SW71576 ft2 146 m2
Cornwall House is a unique, stucco fronted, imposing period building which is beautifully situated in the centre (rather than on the side) of this sought-after garden square. The building’s unique history was written up in detail with photographs in June 1973 and copies of this article are available upon request. The building was illustrated in the Guardian newspaper in 1962. The Lord Mayor of London occupied the whole house until 1898, which was the last time it was a whole house for private occupation. Cornwall House was then the Headquarters for the Ministry of Health and in the 1920s was converted into flats.
Cornwall House is beautifully maintained, retaining nearly all of its period features, notably the large rectangular hallway and breathtaking staircase, which certainly gives the visitor a sense of arrival. The current owner describes the house as having a true community feel with all the owners being well-known to each other. This is helped by them all being members of the management company via the Share of Freehold.
The flat itself benefits from excellent ceiling height (12 ft. approx.) which rivals that of other floors in the building. The flat runs across the entire floor, front to back, providing 1,576 sq ft of living accommodation with triple aspect stunning views which provide excellent natural daylight throughout the flat. The flat has been modernised to a very high standard with wide plank oak floors, heated floors in the bathrooms and kitchen, Bose audio/visual fitted throughout including audio in the en-suite bathroom, Miele fittings in the kitchen, Philippe Stark in the bathrooms and sound proofing in both the floors and ceiling.
Flats in this building are very rarely sold and almost none are modernised in this way. The permits took more than a year to acquire and the work took another 15 months to complete. Early viewings of this flat are highly recommended.
- Key info
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 reception
- Gross Floor Area: 1576 sq ft (146 m²)
- Tenure: Share of Freehold
- Local authority: Kensington & Chelsea
- Council tax band: Unknown
- Service charge: £9,000
- View energy efficiency charts
- Nearby stations
- Gloucester Road390m (4mins)
- Property for sale in Gloucester Road
- Property for sale in SW7
- Property for sale in Cornwall Gardens
- 3 bedroom flats for sale in South Kensington
- 3 bedroom flats for sale in Earls Court
- 3 bedroom flats for sale in Kensington
- 3 bedroom flats for sale in Holland Park
- 3 bedroom flats for sale in Chelsea
- Studio flats for sale in Gloucester Road
- 1 bedroom flats for sale in Gloucester Road
- 2 bedroom flats for sale in Gloucester Road
- 3 bedroom flats for sale in Gloucester Road
- 4 bedroom flats for sale in Gloucester Road
Create a property alert
Be the first to see the latest homes to buy or rent.
Looking to sell?
We can offer property advice and a free valuation.